We have talked about the power of words when grieving… what to say, what not to say. When a friend or family member loses someone they love, putting into writing these thoughts can be difficult. But, the support and love the friend or family member feels is incredibly meaningful and an important part of the grieving process.
- Acknowledge the loss and the name of the deceased.
- Express your sympathy.
- Note special qualities of the deceased.
- Include a memory of the deceased.
- Remind the bereaved of their personal strengths or special qualities.
- Offer help, but make sure it is a specific offer.
End the letter with a thoughtful word, a hope, a wish or expression of sympathy e.g. “You are in my thoughts and prayers.