We have talked about the power of words when grieving… what to say, what not to say. When a friend or family member loses someone they love, putting into writing these thoughts can be difficult. But, the support and love the friend or family member feels is incredibly meaningful and an important part of the grieving process.
- Acknowledge the loss and the name of the deceased.
- Express your sympathy.
- Note special qualities of the deceased.
- Include a memory of the deceased.
- Remind the bereaved of their personal strengths or special qualities.
- Offer help, but make sure it is a specific offer.
End the letter with a thoughtful word, a hope, a wish or expression of sympathy e.g. “You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Today we are sharing some ideas for getting started on sympathy notes. It doesn’t matter how short or long it is, ultimately it should just come from the heart.
Would you like to share your story? Please contact us at [email protected]